Monday 1 June 2009

Pray for me


Dear Mr. Ahmed,

I know it's been so long since I last got in touch with you. It's been pretty hectic, but still I should have phoned you when my heart told me to. I should have thanked you for smiling at me every morning at work, especially when almost everyone was avoiding me because they stupidly thought they were better Muslims keeping their veils on while I was not. To me, you are the true Muslim, never judging, always smiling, never backbiting. There were days when seeing your smiley face in the morning was the only good thing in that day.

Do you remember when I attended calligraphy classes with you? Again, too busy to keep enjoying this. But I have to say, I feel lucky to have attended a whole month with you teaching Arabic. I still use some of the material you gave me. I've never seen someone as patient as you were. Oh, and I still keep the calligraphy pen you sharpened and gave to me. I can't find the small piece of card board on which you beautifully wrote my name. It is green with my name centered in clear black. I didn't want to have a print out to be on my locker, but rather something as warm as your writing.

I do hope you are in a better world now. You've been far from the crazy one for three weeks now. I hope you are still as peaceful as you used to be, as kind and warm as you used to be. Did I tell you I was going to New York soon? I am. Wish me luck on that.

My mom says things happen only when they are meant to. So I assume I was not meant to hear your voice one last time. Yet, I do believe you can hear me now.

I wish you were there at work when I walked in today, just to tell you that it's not the same without you. I will miss you.

I also wanted to see you and ask you to pray for me. I know you can still do.

Love,

Your calligraphy student

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I still pray for you, believe it or not. And I'm a non-believer.

This is a beautiful letter, and I'm sure it reached him and he smiled.