Tuesday 2 June 2009

A biker-to-be


For a change and for fun, I decided to go back to a place I once enjoyed working at. It seems June is not the month to do so, though. Out of eighteen students in two classes, only two smile. Huh? That was not the deal. To be stuck for five hours, four times a week, for four weeks? Well, at least two smile. It's better than over-relaxing at home with my mom receiving/making phone calls from/to my aunts and my brother either on his phone or wanting to talk to me.

I was in class today, the secretary came to hand me a piece of paper.
"Due to the presidential visit of President Obama to Cairo, classes have been canceled on Thursday June 4th. Make-up classes will take place on Sunday June 14th."
Is it a holiday for the whole 80 million population of Egypt?! Obama will be giving a speech to the Muslims of the world from Cairo University in Giza. Only God knows what other security measures, other than keeping people at home, the government is taking. Interesting!? Or Sad?

I went home after the regular hour drive in traffic. I watched the same half of movie I saw yesterday for the same reason. Can't sleep.

It's 10.20 pm and I'm sleepy with BBC Radio 1 buzzing in the background. Trying to do planning for tomorrow's class. So, I'll be teaching them positions.. Noooo, I mean PREpositions as in 'above', 'under', 'next to'. Still doesn't sound right? I mean the target sentences will be 'The chair is next to the sofa' etc...

Just sent an e-mail to a friend telling him about that possibility that I was misdiagnosed with depression for a year when it's "adjustment disorder", which sounds more serious but is less traumatic than depression. I discovered that possibility after a one-hour session with a psychiatrist who assured me that what I had was directly related to my religion questioning and I needed to make a decision and stick to it: choose guilt or reason, or neither. The latter will most probably take me to losing my mind, in the sense of becoming mentally-ill crazy. Hold on, hasn't my counsellor ever read about this whatever disorder?

I just know I'll be fine. Deep inside, I know it. Especially that a colleague at work, when I told him I'd love to have a bike in NY, mentioned that I can get one of those foldable bikes which I could even take on the subway, "although they look ugly, actually," he said. "But not to worry, you'll have a blast." Got excited and checked bikenewyork website.

I still know there's light at the end of the tunnel, unless it's a train coming my way, as one of my favourite professors once joked with me about an assignment.

A bike, yes, I'll get a bike. Not depression and not whatever freakin' disorder.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't choose guilt ! Choose reason (you won't lose your mind, I promise), but more importantly...: reasonably choose a bike ! It's definitely more powerful than any therapist against any disorder or depression.

...Teaching positions... ? :)))