Sunday 28 June 2009

Freedom

A week ago, I met a new friend or rather ran into it. Yes, it's an 'it'.

I was browsing through Arabic radio stations online and found Monte Carlo Radio, which I had already been introduced to through my father. He used to play it in the kitchen and listen to the news while having breakfast. I was six or seven then. It has changed a lot, ... so have I. But it's kept its Shami/Lebanese accent which I love.

It makes a wonderful world come to me in a fraction of a second away. I loved listening to an interview with Buena Vista Social Club and hear some of their songs live for the first time, hearing my favorite MJ songs in a program about his recent death, getting introduced to Crystle Warren's voice, hearing controversial issues spoken about in Arabic for the first time, breaking the ice with French (for the millionth time) and learning 'quel ca appelle' for 'what's it called' but not knowing how to spell it ... yet.

Have you ever listened to a program and wished you were able to phone in and say something? That's how I felt the other day when listening to a program about a possible future French law banning Muslim women from wearing 'niqaab' or face cover. The radio hostess was so good and managed the conversation so well. The guest, who was a high official in the Paris, sounded like someone who has been trained to state out beliefs even if she was not really convinced by them.

She offered the same logic I've heard before: you have to abide by the law of the country you're traveling to because you choose to be there, which makes perfect sense to me. Those who are thinking about moving to France should understand that it's a secular country and they shouldn't complain once they get there, they can't ask for Islamic law or Christian law to be followed, etc. What doesn't really make sense is how this could be true for someone who was born and raised in France, loves the country, and now feels they have to choose between their religious beliefs and the country they love.

I don't understand how this new law waiting to be passed, is aimed at, as stated by the show guest, protecting those women's freedom and allowing them to have a normal social life. She wondered how they would eat or go out to restaurants with their face covered! And how does a thick-moustached man eat or drink? People manage as long as they are happy. I'd protect them by providing a hot-line which they can phone 24/7 and scream "Plz help, my father is forcing me to cover my face."

Who defines freedom? Is it the freedom of the country to make people do what it wants or the freedom of the people to do what they want?

Don't assume that those women need protection or liberation. They feel the most liberated behind their scarf. They feel liberated just as a woman sunbathing in bikinis does. Ask them!!

I've never been to France and would love to one day. But I know if you ask 'France', she would say that wants those women just to be happy. It's the people who are too scared.

Just let those women be!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand your questioning. To be the devil's advocate I'll try to clarify the debate that's happening in France, and the Netherlands, growing with the growing numbers of burqas in the streets of Paris and the Hague.

First, it's a debate. France is split right now, and families are discussing about this endlessly. The law will be debated and then voted.

The proposed law is not against any veil, it is about Burqa (if you are not sure which veil we're talking about, here is a picture:http://www.hyscience.com/archives/burqa.jpg), which the majority of Muslims reject as medieval and un-islamic.

It is considered in France as an oppression of woman, and a barrier to integration, totally incompatible with women's rights and modern life. This is a philosophical debate on relativity, and France shouldn't be afraid to discuss and defend its values.

Is everything relative, is everything acceptable because "it's cultural"? The answer is, of course, no. France banned female circumcision, even thougb it can be "voluntary", and "cultural".

To live in French society, as a free French woman, she has to be able to have a personality. In many ways, Burqa is considered a personality-depriving device. And it comes with other customs of submission. So banning the burqa is putting a symbolic barrier banning those customs.

As someone who lived in Afghanistan, I can say I understand both sides, and the burqa is like the tip of an iceberg of oppressive customs. But all the muslims I know (all of them!) agree to say that Burqa is not recommended in Islam, that it is an abuse.

Whatever the decision of the parliament is, there will be discontents. The important is the debate, and not to forget the values behind the debate.

Nesrine said...

I am against it myself. But I know that some women really feel comfortable wearing it and those should be given the right to choose what to wear. Just as those who go on nude parade choose to wear nothing.

You said "It is considered in France as an oppression of woman, and a barrier to integration, totally incompatible with women's rights and modern life." I do understand it, but again who says it's incompatible with women's right and and what if those women don't want the 'modern life' as defined by France? Using the same logic, homosexual people should not be allowed to exist in a country that views homosexuality as 'primitive, backward, and evil'!!

Again, I am not talking about people who choose to go to France or the Netherlands and then complain. That would just be stupid. I am talking, for example, about a 100% French woman who chooses to wear it.

For me, as a woman, I don't like and don't take people dictating me what makes my freedom. Nothing beyond this point.

Anonymous said...

You definitely have a point. It's hard to answer, because I agree with you. But... again, to be the devil's advocate: should we accept all customs, or should we draw the line somewhere? I think people should wear what they please, diapers or shackles...

And I'm pretty confident that law will not be passed. But I think there should be a line drawn, for example for body integrity.

Some African tribes believe that the face should be scarred at puberty. It's their belief, their choice. Yet, maybe it should be banned. Same as genital mutilation.

But you have to look at the demographics, and the human stories behind the burqa.

The example you point is a bit far-fetched. Women wearing burqas are actually coming to France with it, I don't think there are many women born and raised in France who decide suddenly to wear a burqa.

So the burqa comes with many other disturbing customs, like restricting freedom to walk and go around without a male, or like female circumcision.

Nesrine said...

And I do agree with you. I'm already alarmed about the spread of niqaab and hijab in Egypt, but my worries are related to many social, political and religious reasons.

Such as French society may be concerned about the increase of the burqa, I know I'd be as concerned if, for instance, tank tops and hot shorts appear on Cairo streets because I know society is not ready for it and it's against what they see as normal.

Again my only concern is who and what defines freedom.

Meanwhile, I think France should have the right to choose who to be on her land. Why not say it from the start before women with burqa are there mixing with those French women who you doubted would suddenly wear a burqa.

"To live in French society, as a free French woman, she has to be able to have a personality. In many ways, Burqa is considered a personality-depriving device." Again, talk to them and see if they don't have personalities.