Thursday 24 July 2008

In two minutes

'I'm leaving tomorrow and I have been holding myself. You know how much I love you, no?
You're just like any of my daughters to me and I hope you don't get upset.

You have been to Aya's funeral and you see how it could have been you. She was among us a week ago. Life is short, dear. This is the life of testing, and the other is the life of eternity. You'll see the truth of all this in your grave, a dark hole in the ground.

You think you look more beautiful without the veil? I swear you don't. Your beauty was in your headscarf. You looked as pretty as a full moon.

God is always there for those who watch him in their actions and follow his straight path. Don't forget him so that he doesn't forget you.

May Allah guide you, love.'

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your beauty is deep within your eyes. With or without a headscarf, it'll shine through.

Maybe the straight path is much more than just a piece of cloth.

Anonymous said...

Why don't people let you be !

Nesrine said...

I do believe the straight path is much more than a piece of cloth.

Why don't people let me be? Because they're scared. If they did, it might mean that I could be right and they are not.

Since the veil is the 'seen' symbol of what they think of as religion, not wearing it, or, even worse, taking it off, translates as anti-religion attitude.

She was voicing what I've been seeing in people's eyes: "If only she'd wear the veil!!" she'd be a good Muslim, a more decent girl, a possible candidate for my son, etc.

Her words were some of the most sincere I've heard, though. She really cares for me and sincerely loves me. I know this was the only reason she talked to me.

I wish I could explain to her that it's not about trying to be more or less beautiful, or being rebilious, it's not an attempt to threaten her or others. It's just ME.

Annie said...

Ah... the things people say because they care and love you dearly and, yes, are scared for you... If only she knew how strong you are.