Friday 25 July 2008

Singular and Plural Masculine Pronouns in Egyptian Colloquial Arabic

Are you going out?
Yes, mom. I wont' be late.
Where are you off to?
Zamalik. I'm meeting an ex-(male) student who's back from London and wants to say Hi.
What shall I tell your brother, then?
Tell him "I'm meeting an ex-(male) student who's back from London and wants to say Hi."
Why the headache? Some things are better left untold.
Mom, tell him whatever you want.
I'll say ex-students phoned and you're going to have coffee with them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's actually very funny. It's like a cartoon. They should produce a cartoon with your stories, a 5-minute mini-series each day at 8 pm :)

Nesrine said...

That's a good idea.

I'll call it 'feminist nerve' and play short skits of stories that happen to me and others like me.

One story in the female carriage on the subway, another at the mosque, one with someone proposing to me at home and asking me what the best dish I can make is, another with my mom's friend trying to get me to dance at a wedding so that I get attention of suitors, etc :)

Do you know of a producer that might be interested?

Annie said...

Ha ha ha! Yes, totally, I could see this one in a cartoon strip, or a string of short plays, like you suggested! And, as an aside, I do hope your brother wasn't too scandalized.