Tuesday 30 December 2008

Ladies Only Plz

It seems guys that deadlines are my muse. I have a life changing exam in twenty-two days and as usual I’m not studying enough (at all?) Instead, I'm reading a new book, visiting the dentist, chatting with my mom, writing to you, AND started going to the gym! yay...

It is the same place where
coach Nour works. The reason I chose this gym was not to check him out. I haven't run into him yet because he's a gym room trainer and I've subscribed for the aerobics only.

I had phoned them three days ago and an Omar said "Why don't you come attend a class for free and then decide?" I accepted the invitation.

I arrived just in time, got changed, and joined in. It was a very good class, I have to say. The coach knew what she was doing and I didn't get bored. It took me around ten minutes to realize that, although it was an "L.O." (ladies only) class, there was a young lady in her mid twenties wearing tight rather see-through white pair of pants, tight pink long-sleeve cotton blouse, and a headscarf. Yes, a headscarf. If you're Muslim you might know where she's coming from. Ready?

Ok, in Quraan there is a verse
(24:31) that says women should not show their beauty except to a limited group of people among whom is 'their women'. There are two interpretations for this 'their women': either Muslim women only or women in general. So apparently she believed in the first interpretation of the verse. Which she is entitled to and I'm OK with. I myself used to go to the gym room and exercise with my veil on and it was perfectly fine. What I found interesting was the fact that throughout the whole class, especially during the cool down, she was actually showing more than her hair; her back, stomach, and %^&*$# !!

I finished class and went upstairs to get changed. I have to say that the ladies changing room is one of the least place I like anywhere. Although there was five vacant cabinets where they can get changed, they insist on just doing so in the middle of the room. Well, it's just not comfortable, man! Why do you impose your body on others!! Most of them don't have something to show off actually, which makes it EVEN more uncomfortable.

I then went to the reception check the class schedule and complete the registration.
- Evening, Omar.
+ Evening. How was the class?
- It was very good, thanks. So, I need your help with the schedule.
+ Sure.
- Since you know all classes.. errr.. I have no problem at all with mix-gender classes except with those where we have to use mats.

(Silence and puzzled eyes)

- I mean if it is hip hop, jump in the air kind of thing, cycling, etc .. cool. But lying on the floor with a gentleman next to me .. you know?
+ Oh, I see your point.

He grabbed a highlighter and started marking the L.O. classes and those that match my criterion.

+ We have great Salsa and Tango classes.
- Sounds interesting, but no thanks.

hmm, the guy does not seem to get the point. He gave me a look close to 'how non-progressive old-fashioned'

- You can sign me up for belly dancing, though.

He raised one eye brow without looking me in the eye. After all she's not that ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, you checked out Nour finally :))

Mmmm... I'd raise that last eyebrow too if I were Omar :) I was about to say "loosen up, girl" but then... belly-dancing :)

Really, most people who practice sports regularly are less shy and more comfortable with their bodies, and the bodies of others around.

It's perfectly normal for people in a gym to get changed in the middle of the locker, and you're always free to isolate yourself.

Apart from the obvious benefits of getting healthier, I think registering into a gym is really also a step in sharing space with others, learn to tolerate their presence and close physical activity, enjoy a class together. An exercise in socialization through effort.

I disagree also on the veiled girl showing her #$$... She's free to dress as she pleases, even if it seems paradoxical. Tight gym clothes are designed to ease free movement without anything getting in the way. You certainly will agree with that. I only wish I was in that class to form an opinion :))

One day you might want to treat yourself and try an "L.O" sauna experience in one of the big hotel spas :)