Saturday 1 March 2008

A major realization

I'd decided to write about my experience of taking off my headscarf as soon as I have something to share. I have a lot to tell you actually: people's reactions, my own reflection on the decision, what it means to me to feel the wind in my hair, new things I've learned about myself, new things I've grown (un)interested in over the past two weeks.

But … really … what I'd like to share with you are details I've recently noticed about a long hidden part of me ... My hair!
No matter how hard you try to make it do what you want, it would still act the way it wishes. Even if you take it to the hairdresser's and force it to look the way you think is nicer, having made you happy for a while, it'll soon go back to the way it is. It can't stay fake for long.
Although it looks similar to most Egyptians' hair, it's just not the same.
It gets easily damaged by sun, humidity and wind. It'll stay strong but may get tired of being strong and then you'll usually have to be patient and pay a lot to treat it.
It may not look friendly to you on the outside, but deep inside it is. It's also happy, content, and thankful for whatever it is.
My hair is actually much wilder than it seems to be, that's why, for social reasons, a hair band is usually tied around it.

This all may be less important than the actual veil-off experience itself. But actually these findings have helped me come to an important realization of the interesting similarities between me and my hair.

After several painful attempts of pointless forced change, I've discovered the only way that could work with both of them: it's to accept them and love them the way they are... for they just wouldn't change!

1 comment:

David said...

The wildness is what makes the hair so beautiful.