Sunday 7 September 2008

Things that make me HAPPY

Hmm .. there are many of them actually .. Do you have time to read this?

It feels great to find money in a jacket or pants I don't wear often. Even greater if I'm broke :)to remember someone's name, to go through my grandpa's photos and documents (usually hidden by dad and dug out by me), to walk on a wooden bridge, to wash my mom's feet and give her a pedicure, to meet people who are out of this world, to hear someone sincerely praying for me, to go faster than sixty km/hour in Cairo, to smell cappuccino and eat warm brownies topped with vanilla ice cream, to chat with a good friend, to sunbathe (discovered lately), to sleep on a fresh pillowcase, to roll lie down on grass, to hear a policeman say 'thank you', to try to cook and it works, to see my brother's wardrobe tidy, to pass by my elementary school, to watch cartoon, to unpack, to buy someone's some flowers, to receive a letter, to help a child do their homework .. once, to hear a talkative person say "I'm in a hurry", to wade in the water, to write with a fountain pen, to go snorkeling, to stand on stage and act for a great audience, to go cycling for twenty minutes, to read a page turner book, to pass by a warm bakery, to go home to find my mom had made my favorite dish (stuffed grape leaves and yogurt salad), to attend an unexpectedly good concert, to sing a baby to sleep, to lose weight without going on a diet, to wear silver, to travel to a new country and get quiet people next to me on the plane, to know someone really accepted my apology, to smell one good cigarette being smoked in a car, to see my parent's wedding photos, to feel the wind in my hair, to forget a bad memory, to remember where I parked, to take a nap in winter, to be able to say 'no', to eat chocolate, not to be followed by a shop assistant offering help, to get a non-smoking silent taxi driver, to talk to a friend on the phone and think of a name for her unborn child, to visit a place I used to play at during school holidays, to buy stationery, to forgive someone, to open the window when it's raining, to pray and know I'm heard, to be busy, to eat good new salad, to look at my nursery ID and school record, ...

I'm sure I'll remember some more later. I'll keep you updated ... in a different color.

Oh, the sound of a typrwriter, yellow paper, drinking tea with milk, strumming a guitar, ...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The ones that really made me laugh:
- To buy stationery (like children when school is starting again)
- To remember where I parked :)) (me too)
- To drive more than 60 km/h (I imagine your big smile). You should do a whole post on you and your car... I noticed that in cars, there are cigarettes you like ("one good cigarette" meaning a favourite brand ?) and the ones you dislike (the taxi drivers').

The ones I feel too: to take a nap in winter, to open the window when it's raining, to be busy...

Chocolate is there TWICE in the form of brownie and pure chocolate :)))

It made me think of other things that make me happy that are exactly the opposite or the mirror of your list:
- Receiving flowers (very, very rare. You can send me some, since you like to send them, it's a win-win).
- To pack my bags
- To type on my grandad's typewriter :)

Questions:
- Do you have a guitar ? Can I give you one to strum ? (I have 3 !)
- Which page turner, for example ?
- Where are there wooden bridges of Cairo ?
- Where is your elementary school ?
- Would you put up one of your grandpa's photo or old document ?

Nesrine said...

hehee..
One good cigarette is something like one Red Marlborro, specially when the smoke is mixed with the smell of car interior, air freshener or perfume.

Of course, chocolate TWICE.

No, I don't have a guitar :)
A page turner such as Bahaa Tahir's 'Love in the Exile', translated from Arabic. Comic books are another amazing example of a page turner :)

My elementary school is in Heliopolis. Very close to Mahkama Square. It's called 'Salah El-Diin'

I would definately put some pix and old documents up as soon as I can sneak into my dad's drawer. Yes, he has one packed drawer.

Anonymous said...

Hot chocolate on a cold day (not a cold day like you get in Egypt -- more like -5c) there is one place in NYC that has hot chocolate that is like drinking brownie batter -- no lie

Looking in the eyes of someone you care about

A day when your hair does what you want (my hair in braids never works)

Watching a good movies

Dancing in the rain

Singing on stage (or just singing)

Going home after a long separation (providing it isn't for something sad -- last time I saw my mother, father, and brother in the same room was last January)

Understanding parts of a conversation in a language you haven't heard for a while (There are some people from Mina at work)

Making a good diner with or for friends

Root beer float (no alcohol -- an American soda with vanilla ice cream -- coke floats are good too)

There are other things that I would add but may be considered vices/acceptable but in NYC all is good...as long as I am not in a shtetl or other such community

Nesrine said...

Nance,
We have a lot in common, except the hair thing. I wouldn't even imagine it doing what I want so I don't think about it :))

I haven't tried dancing in the rain but would love to and will one day.

Annie said...

Wonderful list. Makes me happy just to read it.