Sunday 4 May 2008

Alicia and Caramel Sundae

I was once doing an exercise with my students to practice comparatives and superlatives. A question on the list was "What do you think is the best invention ever?" TV, microscope, X-ray, telephone, even hair brushes were among the answers. I had never thought about it. Today, I realized that the best invention ever is the MP3 player.

I took a cab this afternoon to go downtown. I told the cabbie where to go and put on my earphones. I keep on fallin in love with you Sometimes I love ya Sometimes you make me blue I didn't hear him honking and swearing at his colleagues and their donkeys on the street. Wow, even the weather is great.

"Sometimes I feel good
At times I feel used

Loving you darling
Makes me so confused"

I left the cab at Tahrir square. I walked across the crazy streets - i.e. jaywalked, with more confidence than ever. I didn't even look in the eyes of motorists while crossing. This must be how people feel when they get stoned. And no, I didn't get killed. I don't believe I'll ever die of stupidity.

Alicia keys keeps singing to me, and me only.

"I keep on fallin in and out of love with you.
I never loved someone way that I loved you"


It's President Mubarak's birthday and there were rumors some people might go on a strike or demonstrate downtown. Abviously not because he's still alive, but because they might want to seize such a happy occasion to say that they had "enough" and would like to be able again to buy ten, instead of two, loaves of decent bread for one pound. Therefore, as usual, huge bullet-proof cars packed with national security soldiers were parked around the square and side streets.

"Oh,oh,oh I never felt this way
How do you give me so much pleasure
And cause me so much pain"


Since they weren't allowed to leave the cars, soldiers climbed over each other in order to catch a glance of the hot chicks coming in and out of the busy McDonald's on the corner.

I grabbed a Caramel Sundae Ice Cream. On my way out they said something I couldn't hear. I smiled at them.
Just when I think I've taken more than would a fool I start fallin back in love with you I keep on fallin in and out of love with you
Crossed the street. Okay, sorry. Alicia and I jaywalked across the street. Her voice and caramel taste just the same.

"I never loved someone way that I loved you(oh baby)
oh,oh,oh,oh,ooooh(yeahyeah)"

I walked in the library and everyone looked bright, smart and smiley. Alicia had stopped singing and an Arabic song played. People were still smiling and everything seemed perfect except the unbearable urge I had to start dancing on top of the circulation counter.

3 comments:

Descartes said...

That was really nice. Picture-perfect, actually.

I just saw "Caramel", on Lebanese girls. You should make a script for a movie set in Egypt. Opening scene. Girl, on a perfect day, walking amid cars and this political background building up. Reminds me of the style of Adhaf Soueif, complete with soundtrack.

Oh I wish you'd danced on that counter !!!

David said...

Sweet. It makes me wish I were back in Cairo. And I didn't like Cairo.

Nesrine said...

No David. Please don't not like Cairo. At least Cairo likes you, you know? :)